IELTS registration is mandatory before a candidate appears for the examination. This process is very simple and can be done around two weeks before the exam. However that is subject to availability of dates, since there are limited number of days on which the exam is conducted and even the number of centers where it takes place. So, taking all these issues into consideration, one is advised to book the IELTS exam at least a month before the day of the exam.The registration process is very easy and can be done by three simple ways.
- Online registration on the British Council website.
- Registration at the British Council office in person.
- Registration by post or courier.
To register by post or courier, one has to download the application form from the British Council website, fill it up and mail it to the nearest British Council office. After the receipt of the application, it will be processed and the seat will be booked. When an applicant registers using the post or courier or does it in person, he/ she is required to submit the following documents.
1) A completed application form that is signed by the applicant.
2) Two color passport size photographs that were taken within the last six months where the applicant is not wearing glasses.
3) A photocopy of the applicant’s valid passport.
The fee for the registration of the IELTS is INR 7600. One can pay by using a credit/debit card, a check or a demand draft.
Important points to be noted by the applicant:1. The application form should reach the British Council office at least 15 days before the test date.
2. If one pays by demand draft or via the ICICI bank, evidence of one’s payment (either the demand draft or the ‘British Council Copy’ of the ICICI deposit slip must be attached to the application form.
3. Demand drafts should be made to British Council Division, payable in:
Delhi for North India
Mumbai for West India
Chennai for South India
Kolkata for East India
Applicants who want to postpone or cancel their exam must do so before 5 weeks of the day of the test, or they will be charged the full fee of the test, unless they are able to provide appropriate medical evidence to support their request. Medical evidence must be provided within 5 days of the day of the test.
If the candidate wants to pre-pone or cancel the test because of bereavement of a close family member or hardship/trauma – victim of crime, victim of a traffic accident, exemptions can be made if any valid evidence is presented.
Candidates who go in for a cancellation of their registration more than 5 weeks before the test date will receive a refund of Rs.5700/- (75% of the test fee).
Candidates have the option to transfer to another test date, by paying Rs.1900/- as a transfer fee 5 weeks before the exam. Candidates should note that they will be allowed a transfer only once.